Baking is easy for some and hard for others. Sometimes there are simple tips and tricks we often forget and simply do not know about that will make a difference between a failed dish and a good one. These 10 easy and simple tips are good for baking cakes and cookies, homemade or premix packaged ingredients that require extra separate ingredients.
10 Easy and Simple Baking tips:
- Follow the instructions and use the ingredients listed in the recipe.
- Preheat oven before you begin to mix your ingredients to give the oven time to heat up the appropriate temperature. Use a thermometer if there are any uncertainties about the oven temperature.
- Always prepare foods with room temperature ingredients unless recipe states otherwise.
- Do not over mix! Over mixing causes gluten in flour to develop and create chewy baked desserts and over mixing eggs can make baked desserts tough.
- It is best to bake with butter unless the recipe calls for margarine, oil, shortening, or something else. Not using what the recipe calls for can result in a change of texture, taste, and consistency.
- It is best to refrigerate cookie dough until it is cold before baking. Immediately bake cake batter after mixing.
- Do not exclude salt from the recipe. It enhances the flavor and sweetness of the foods to be baked and helps leavening agents (baking powder, baking soda, and yeast) do their job.
- If cakes lack moisture and are dried out despite properly following directions, use a pan filled with 2 inches of hot water on the bottom oven rack while baking cake to prevent cake from drying out. The steam produced by the hot water will keep adding moisture into the cake.
- When using a dark or glass pan to bake in, reduce the oven temperature by 25° Fahrenheit to prevent desserts from baking too fast.
- It is important to allow cakes and cookies to cool before adding frosting and icing. Failure to do so will result in icing and frosting melting from the cakes and cookies and an unpleasant looking dessert.