I’ve played some amazing pranks in my day, but the following ten pranks take the cake. To protect the innocent, or in some cases, to avoid embarrassing the fine establishments that fell for these pranks, names of the brilliant pranksters and gullible “victims” have been withheld. I cannot recommend your trying these at home, but hey, you may be inspired to come up with your own brilliant fun!
1. While at a large, chain bookstore, select a random book, typically from the “self-help” section, flip to a random page, and gently place a sticky note that reads: “I’m Watching You!!!”
2. Call a boardwalk-esque, carnival type store, ask if they carry a “Big Peter”, and demand that they check to see if there are any in stock.
3. Call a romantic restaurant, tell them you lost a terribly large ring there the night before – you planned on proposing to your girlfriend of 5 years with this extraordinarily giant rock – and beg them to search for it. When they report that despite looking everywhere, they cannot locate your lost ring, say -“Darn, I must’ve eaten it! Well, it was a ring pop – what other kind of ring is that big?”
4. Call your local electronics store and ask if they’re hiring. Regardless of whether or not they are, ask many probing questions about the “job”, especially about working the cash register. Then, ask if they have a problem with your being blind.
5. Call the nearest theme park. Ask to be transferred to the department that handles staffing. Excitedly tell them that you REALLY want to work at the Haunted House. Prove that you’re the person for the job by showing them just how skilled you are at screaming, “BOO!!!”
6. Call the mall. Tell them that you are an expert at Caricatures and that it is your life-long dream to work in the center of the mall, naked, spray painted gold, drawing caricatures. You must act appalled when they tell you that under no circumstances would they allow this.
7. Ring up one of the companies that specialize in “Old Time Photos.” Ask if they will take a photo of you wearing cowboy boots, a ten-gallon hat and spurs. NOTHING but the boots, hat and spurs!
8. Call up your favorite grocery store. Tell them you have a whole wagon full of pecan Sandies (you must pronounce this with an exaggerated lisp) and ask if they’ll please, please let you set up shop in front of their store.
9. Dial the number for a random casino type establishment. Tell them you won a very special prize in their crane machine, but think you left your beloved prize on the counter. You can choose any sort of prize, but I’ve found that a life-size “Wonder Woman” doll works extremely well!
10. For those of you who are novices, and not quite ready to attempt anything on the level of numbers 1-9, there’s always the classic “Is your refrigerator running? Well, you better go catch it!”
Now, I would never encourage anyone to pull a prank. But, if I had to pick one, I think these ten amazing pranks are wonderful!